Obesity and overweight are often used as synonyms in society. However, from the medical point of view, they define slightly different disease entities. Both are defined as an excessive amount of adipose tissue that has been accumulated in the body, which often deteriorates the patient’s health or creates grounds for deterioration of the health condition.
The first is the BMI, or body mass index. The second factor relates to the ratio, which is calculated from kilograms of body weight, to height in meters squared. What indicators are considered the borderline values of overweight and obesity?
The problem of choosing the right diet and weight loss plan is quite relevant, since not all people know the features of this process. Let’s check the adopted standards:
- Overweight, when the BMI in a person over the age of 15 is equal to or greater than 25 but lower than 30,
- Obesity when BMI is at least 30.
However, such defined ranges regulating the issues of obesity and overweight do not apply to children under the age of 15. Also in the elderly and pregnant women, the determination of overweight and obesity should not be limited only to the estimation of the BMI value. So you need to choose best weight loss program that suits you.
Types of obesity
There are several types of obesity. Those are:
- Moderate obesity, when BMI is in the range of 30-35,
- Significant obesity when BMI is in the range of 35-40,
- Obesity posing a serious risk when BMI exceeds 40.
Obesity is also differentiated depending on the cause that causes it. In this case, the following are distinguished:
- Primary obesity (called simple or spontaneous), which is most often caused by environmental factors, including eating high-calorie foods, too few meals,
- Secondary obesity (symptomatic), associated with disorders of the endocrine glands, often developing as a result of other diseases.
The following causes of obesity are often indicated:
- Slow metabolism – if the energy provided with food is not consumed, then it is stored in the form of adipose tissue and thus contributes to obesity,
- Genetic predisposition – in some people, genes affect the faster processing of energy and its storage in adipose tissue,
- Influence of factors related to fetal life;
- Preferential metabolic changes of carbohydrates – in some people the body metabolizes carbohydrates more efficiently than fats, which increases the tendency to gain weight,
- Lack of a feeling of satiety, at the root of which are, among others disorders of neurohormonal regulation,
And it’s not the whole list. Here are some other examples:
- Limiting the so-called Postprandial thermogenesis, which means an increase in the body’s heat production after food consumption as a result of the increased energy consumption needed for the digestive process,
- Disorders of the functioning of the endocrine glands,
- Excessive secretion of proteins responsible for the synthesis of triglycerides
- Inadequate diet and irregular food intake,
- Too little physical activity.
Consequences of obesity
There is more and more talk about obesity in terms of the negative health consequences it brings. Being overweight is often the first step to obesity problems in the future. Why is it so important to ensure a healthy body weight and lack of excessive body fat? Obesity is often at the root of many human health problems. So what is the best way to lose weight?
Treatment of obesity in the vast majority of patients is symptomatic. In adults, obesity treatment methods are primarily associated with the introduction of an appropriate diet that is low in energy.
The purpose of such a diet is to create an energy balance with a negative value. The basis here is the assessment of the patient’s energy expenditure. At the same time, when fighting obesity, you should also ensure that sugars and fats are also limited in the diet.
Treatment of obesity in adults, in addition to choosing a diet, also involves the appropriate adjustment of human physical activity.
Exercise fight obesity
Exercise in obesity helps to maintain the body’s energy balance. Diet and exercise, however, should be correlated to maintain an appropriate energy balance. Some patients use pharmacotherapy that supports the weight loss process.
Currently, pharmacological treatment is usually limited only to taking preparations aimed at reducing appetite.
In people who are very obese, doctors sometimes choose to undergo surgery. However, the procedure is performed only among a selected group of patients with very severe obesity problems. The basis for the decision-making process to qualify for surgery is the duration of the disease, which is usually not less than 5 years, as well as the ineffectiveness of diet and pharmacological agents. It’s important to choose the best diet plan.
In addition, the patient has metabolic, respiratory and psychological complications, which may be a direct cause of danger to his life. Treatment of obesity then consists in sucking out excess body fat. It’s especially important to find proper diet plans for women because their body processes differs.
What is a diet?
Many people think that diet means losing weight, i.e. fighting kilograms. Meanwhile, these are only the best known diets, but there may be others, for example: curative – selected for a specific disease, associated with the elimination of a specific group of products or one of them, its consistency and method of preparation; low cholesterol diet – in case of heart diseases; high-energy – in thinness, rich in protein – for athletes and convalescents.
Therefore, the question arises, what is the best diet for us, i.e. what to choose from among the many recommendations recommended by specialists. There are dietitians who propose universal diets, those that are suitable and beneficial to all, while others offer those intended for specific patients, individuals, groups.
The concept of diet and proper style of eating are among the least understood and misused measures in the prevention and fight against obesity. For most, the diet is associated with enormous sacrifices and unpleasantness. Most often it is associated with fasting or a significant reduction in caloric content of meals. Few people associate it with rational nutrition or modifying eating behavior. The Galveston diet is also useful, because it normalizes the metabolism.
The most appropriate diets are those that contain everything that is necessary for the body, i.e. balanced diets. They should consist of all available foods, be varied and tasty. All sweets and cakes, saturated fats and flour products, such as bread, pasta and, of course, fast food and ready-made meals full of fat, chemicals and calories should be eliminated. But you need to know the main rules before choosing weight loss programs.
Learn the most important rules for losing weight. What is worth remembering for the diet to be effective? So what’s the best diet for weight loss? Let’s start from the basic rules:
- Eat 5 meals a day – 3 main meals and 2 smaller snacks.
- Eat breakfast up to an hour after getting up, and dinner at least 2-3 hours before going to bed.
- Opt for low-fat dairy and lean meats.
- Choose whole grain and wholemeal bread. Give up white rolls and bread!
- Add fresh vegetables and fruits to every meal – they’re a source of fiber, vitamins and antioxidants!
Most of all, buy vegetables and seasonal fruits. In winter, take care of your frozen food supplies. It is also very important to limit the amount of food eaten and reflect on the way they are prepared: nothing fried in fat, rather boiled and baked. All the factors is a complicated thing, so you should search for best weight loss apps.
Supplements in the diet
If the diet consists only of vegetables and fruits, it looks very healthy, cleansing the intestines and slimming. And all this is true, but it lacks very important fat-soluble vitamins (A, D, E, K) that are essential for health and beauty – eyesight, immune system, skin, good absorption of calcium and phosphorus, fighting free radicals. You need a diet plan for weight loss.
An effective slimming diet is a deliberate diet. Before deciding to choose it, it is worth finding out whether the use of a specific method of losing weight will have a negative impact on your health. Many weight loss diets are quite monotonous, so it is difficult to continue with them.
A better idea is to use those as close to normal, rational eating as possible. If there are deviations from the diet and in the moment of weakness the slimming person reaches for something sweet, it is not worth having a guilty conscience about it. You should also check nutrisystem reviews to choose the best way for weight loss.
An overly restrictive approach to nutrition can be the beginning of eating disorders, and this is a serious problem. Good diet plan is a 50% of success. You should also consult with your doctor beforehand in order to put together the right diet and exercise plan for the next few months. Each organism is individual, which means there are things that will allow you to achieve results faster and more efficiently.